Although summer is upon us, there is still time to plant herbs in your summer garden. The benefits of herbs are many. They attract beneficial insects and pollinators to your garden while adding flowers and fragrance. Herbs add flavour to...
Treating Ross River Fever Naturally
I just read in our local newspaper that the incidence of Ross River Fever in NSW has jumped from 79 to 539 compared to the same period in 2014. This is a big increase and people need to be aware of symptoms as well as natural treatments available at Santos Organics.
You can shop for many of these solutions in our stores or on our online store. Simply use the search tool in the top corner or click on the item links below. As a not-for-profit we are dedicated to empowering you with the knowledge and products needed to live a healthy life. 100% of our profit is then used to fund environmental projects. Ross River Fever is a mosquito born virus with symptoms similar to the 'flu including "polyarthritis" or arthritis in all joints.
The incubation period is 7-9 days and symptoms can be mild to severe, lasting from a few weeks to months and can even become chronic with a possibility of becoming chronic fatigue syndrome if not addressed and treated well. Obviously prevention is the best cure and avoiding being out at dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active seems to help, as well as covering up and avoiding having water sitting in containers around your house.
There are also natural remedies, based on essential oils, that are extremely effective in avoiding mosquito bites. The most effective I have found is a product called Natural Repel, Tropical Strength. This formula is designed for the tropics and is a powerful blend of natural insect repellents and protecting oils, including Citronella, Lemon Balm, Lavender, Clove, Kunzea and Fragonia. Now if you are still unlucky enough to contract Ross River Fever, don't despair, there are many good natural remedies that will help to stop the virus from becoming chronic. The most important thing is to boost the immune system.
Here is a list of things you can do and the sooner you start your treatment, the better results you will get.
1. Vit C - there is now much evidence to prove the efficacy of Vit C against viruses. The suggested dose for Ross River Fever is 3gm a day, though some people have had good results by taking larger amounts throughout the day to bowel tolerance (this is when you start having diarrhoea and you should stop taking it then). If you are taking large amounts, it is essential to take lots of filtered water with the Vit C.
2. Zinc - another anti-viral which is extremely effective for Ross River Fever - preferably take the citrate form - 30 mg twice a day.
3. Magnesium - has been found to be effective and will help with the myalgia (muscle soreness). Take a good powder - one teaspoon twice a day.
4. Fish Oils - being anti-inflammatory, these are highly recommended. Two capsules with each meal will reduce pain very quickly. Vegetarians and vegans can take flaxseed oil - 1 dessertspoon with each meal.
5. Herbal Remedies - I have found these to be extremely effective to treat this virus and to boost the immune system. I would recommend a combination of Echinacea, Andrographis and Olive Leaf extracts. Take 3mls three times a day.
6. An easy to digest diet, including lots of organic vegetables and small amounts of fruit, fish, nuts, seeds, brown rice, quinoa, tofu and tempeh is effective. The diet needs to be alkaline, as is the case in all types of arthritis, as well as avoiding alcohol, coffee and processed foods. Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in warm water first thing on rising, help to alkalise the body, as do all the "green" foods.
7. Rest, rest and more rest. In the initial stages, i.e. the first couple of weeks, lots of rest is essential. As your energy returns, a balance of light exercise and rest works well. Do not overdo it and push yourself as this will set you back. 8. Reduce stress levels, meditate daily and visualise yourself improving each day. Suzanne Staples ND DBM Naturopath Herbalist Homoeopath Email email@example.com Copyright Suzanne Staples Keep up with our latest news and specials. Subscribe to the Santos Organics newsletter at the bottom of the home page!