If you're craving a hearty, filling and savoury breakfast, then savoury oatmeal is for you! This nutrient-packed miso oatmeal will surely get you going in the morning and will give you a nice break from sweet oatmeal. As much as I
love sweet oats and overnight oats, savoury will always be my favourite. Miso provides a prebiotic benefit to your oats, too. Meaning it will feed your healthy bacteria in the gut. And if you choose shitake mushrooms, they will keep your immune system healthy in the transition from winter to spring.
- 1 1/2 cups organic oats
- 3 cups water
- pinch salt
- teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsps ghee, softened.
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 eggs or fried tofu
- 1 tbsp extra ghee
- 2 1/2 cups mushrooms (shiitake, maitake, or oyster mix)
- 2 kale leaves chopped.
- 1 green onion (light green parts only, sliced thin on the bias)
- Crushed almonds (for garnish)
- Seaweed sheets (for garnish, optional)
1. Bring the oats, water and salt to a low boil in a small pot over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for seven to nine minutes until cooked. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mash the ghee, ginger and miso with a fork until paste forms. Stir half of the miso ghee into the oats and cover again. Set the remaining miso ghee aside.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer and gently lower the eggs into the pot with a small sieve or slotted spoon. Cook for 6 1/2 to 7 minutes for a jammy medium-boiled egg. Remove the eggs and immediately place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Alternatively, fry your tofu for vegan option.
4. Heat the extra ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for eight to nine minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and cooked. Add chopped kale, reduce the heat to low, stir in the reserved miso ghee and cook for one to two minutes, until the miso ghee is melted.
5. Peel the eggs and slice them in half. Divide the oats into bowls, top with the mushrooms, eggs, and seaweed and sprinkle with crushed almonds. Enjoy as a breakfast of brunch.
Find all your organic fresh produce ingredients at Santos Organics stores! Enjoy!