This delicious soup is a big hit! Even the kids will love it. Cauliflower, red lentils, coconut cream, onion and garlic paired with some lovely spices, makes this soup a winning combination. Served with a swirl of coconut cream, a dash of paprika, fresh coriander and then topped with home made garlic croutons, will have everyone coming back for more.
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 2 onions diced
- 5-6 curry leaves or 1 bay l eaf
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 2-3 tsp celtic salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds only
- 2 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
First sauté onion in coconut oil for about 10 minutes until translucent, then add garlic and rest of the above ingredients and cook for a further 2 minutes whilst stirring, then add the following ingredients.
- 5 cups of water with vegetable stock paste/cube or 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 large cauliflower broken up into small/medium sized flowerets
- Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, not mushy, and the lentils are soft and mushy. Once cooled, transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer back to pot and adjust seasonings according to taste, e.g. More salt, cayenne pepper or spices. And add
– 1 can coconut cream (cream part only, not watery stuff)
– ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
- Mix through and bring back to hot again but being careful not to boil.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of coconut cream swirled through, a sprinkle of paprika and fresh chopped coriander to decorate, then top with home made garlic croutons.
Home Made Garlic Croutons
- 6 slices of bread cut into cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil infused with 4 cloves garlic (soaked for 1 hour or longer and then drain off garlic)
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- ½ tsp celtic salt
- Place all ingredients into a plastic bag, holding open end closed in one hand, and together with both hands, shake the bag vigorously until the croutons have been coated with the oil.
- In a moderate oven bake croutons on an oven tray for about 10 minutes or more until golden brown.
With 50 years experience as a vegetarian, Christine Taylor is now sharing her passion for health and vegetarian cooking in the local community. Christine has a vast array of delicious recipes that are being taught at her newly launched Eats of Eden Cooking School. Her classes have been commented on as ‘fun, enjoyable and informative’ with a unanimous vote of 10/10.
Christine lives on a tranquil rural property in the beautiful Byron Bay hinterland with her husband Dave and dog Maddie, surrounded by nature at its very best.
Christine draws her inspiration from practicing the 9 Laws of Health – a positive attitude, good nutrition, daily exercise, pure water, sunshine, moderation in good things (abstinence from that which is harmful), clean air, plenty of rest and trust in divine power. “This is the basis for lasting health, hope and happiness!”
For further information or bookings please contact Christine on