1⁄4 medium pumpkin, cut into wedges, skin on
Cold-pressed olive oil, for baking
1⁄2 cup puy lentils
11⁄2 cups filtered water
10-12 snow peas, trimmed and blanched 1⁄2 medium red onion,
finely sliced 1 large kale leaf, finely shredded
1⁄4 cup firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
1⁄4 cup roughly chopped dried olives (or use regular olives)
30ml lemon juice
30ml cold-pressed olive oil
5 large shredded basil leaves
1⁄4 teaspoon quality salt
Roasted red pepper vinaigrette:1 medium red pepper 1 medium garlic clove 1⁄2 cup cold-pressed olive oil 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon quality salt 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced.
- Roast the pumpkin and the red pepper for the vinaigrette at the same time.
- Place pumpkin wedges on a large baking tray, then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the red pepper for the vinaigrette on a separate small baking tray.
- Roast pumpkin for 15-20 minutes or until golden and soft. Set aside to cool.
- Roast whole red pepper for 15-20 minutes or until skin has blackened and pepper is soft.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place lentils and the filtered water in a medium saucepan on a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are soft but not overcooked.
- Drain lentils and cool under cold running water.
- Transfer lentils to a large salad bowl and add the snow peas, red onion, shredded kale, parsley and chopped olives.
- Set aside while you make the basil dressing and roasted red pepper vinaigrette.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to combine.
- Top with roasted pumpkin.
- Serve salad with vinaigrette on the side.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until well combined.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Roasted red pepper vinaigrette
- Remove skin, stem and seeds from roasted pepper, then combine with remaining vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small bowl or jug.