GF, DF, Vegan.
- 1 cup dried dates
- 1 cup dried figs, stem removed
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 almonds dry roasted, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- Pinch salt
- Heat a fry pan on medium and add the almonds.
- Dry roast them for a few minutes, shaking often until they darken and begin to smell sweet and roasted.
- Set aside to cool.
- Remove the stalks from the figs and chop into rough pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to the boil with the lid on.
- Turn down to a gentle simmer and remove the lid.
- Cook until the water has evaporated and the dates have cooked down into a paste.
- If the dates are still slightly firm, add some boiling water and continue cooking.
- Add the almonds and mix well.
- Use as a condiment alongside curry, dal and rice. Even as a porridge topping or on toast. Whatever you wish…