Here is a yummy winter warming curry with an ayurvedic twist shared with us by Yummy Lara!
- 1 large head of organic cauliflower
- 2 large organic sweet potatoes
- 1 large Organic brown onion
- 7 cm long piece of fresh organic ginger
- 4 large heaped tablespoons of organic ghee or coconut oil
- ½ Tsp. organic black mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp. organic Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp. organic Ajwain seeds
- 2 Tsp. organic Turmeric powder
- ¼ Tsp. organic Asafoetida
- 8 Whole organic Cardamom Pods lightly bruised
- 8 Whole organic Star Anise
- 2 heaped tbsp. of organic coriander powder
- 2 heaped tbsp. organic cumin powder
- 1 heaped tsp. Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 Tsp. organic ground black pepper
- 2-3 cans of organic coconut cream
- Prepare all your vegetable first, wash and chop in 2.5 cm cube size the sweet potatoes and break off the cauliflower into small florets.
- Finely dice the onion. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- In a heavy based stainless steel saucepan on a medium to high heat add the ghee, let it heat up for a few minutes, ghee needs to be quite hot before adding your spices. First add you mustard seeds, cumin and ajwain; once they start to pop add your diced onion and garlic. Sauté on a medium to low heat for at least 10 minutes or until they go a lovely clear color.
- Then add the ginger and dried spices: turmeric, asafetida, salt and pepper to mixture let simmer and cook for a further 5-7 minutes stirring mixture well.
- Add your sweet potatoes make sure they cook for a few minutes in the mixture before you add some hot water just enough to cover the vegetables, approximately 1 ½ cups.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes then add the cauliflower. Cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until both the cauliflower and sweet potato have started to soften. Then pour in the coconut cream, if you like it particularly creamy add 3 cans then let simmer for a further 5 min.
- Serve with some steamed Organic Biodynamic Short Grain Rain Fed rice. I love to make a side salad with this, lots of seeds and fresh herbs!
For more recipes, catering information and ayurvedic consults contact:
FB Lara Yakimishyn