- 1 tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (if substituting dried, pre-soak in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 1 ½ cups rain fed brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 9 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups thinly sliced greens (eg bok choy, broccolini, mustard greens)
- Tamari sauce (GF)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Toppings (choose some or all):
- Thinly sliced spring onions
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Toasted or activated almonds
- Toasted black sesame seeds
- Chilli paste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, ginger, and mushrooms until the mushrooms are softened (~5 minutes).
- Add the rice and allow to toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 5 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for around 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom, and adding remaining stock gradually as required.
- After 1 hour, stir in the greens.
- Continue simmering for another 30 minutes or so until it reaches the consistency of porridge. Add more stock or water if you prefer a thinner porridge.
- Season to taste with~ 1 tbsp tamari and black pepper.
Serve hot with the toppings of your choice