GF, DF, Nightshade Free, Vegan.
- 2 ½ cups Chickpeas, dry
- 200g Red beetroot
- 1 cup Hot water (saved from the cooked chickpeas)
- ¾ cups White tahini
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bi-carb soda
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin seed powder
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander seed powder
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Fennel seed powder
- Soak chickpeas overnight for 12-24 hour in cold water and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Once soaked, drain and rinse chickpeas with cold water. Rinse beetroots well. Add chickpeas and beetroots to a medium sized pot and cover with cold water, a pinch of salt and bicarb soda. Cover with lid and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes or until chickpeas can be easily broken with fingertips and the beetroot is very soft
- Drain the chickpeas and beetroot, keeping the cooking liquid as it is needed for the hummus
- In a food processor or blender add all ingredients. Start on the lowest setting and slowly turn up to high (if applicable). If it is too thick to blend, add cooking liquid from the cooked chickpeas and beetroot as needed
- Enjoy with crackers, toast or with falafel!
History & Benefits:
Soaking grains and legumes overnight and with apple cider vinegar, breaks down the phytic acid and helps the bioavailability of the chickpeas when consuming them. Using bi-carb helps to soften the chickpeas and makes them easier to blend into a smooth consistency.
Santos Organics is proud to partner with Conscious Ground Kitchen
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Conscious Ground Kitchen expert team of chefs and nutritionists. Conscious Ground Organics is a certified organic farm and earth education centre in Byron Bay. Their philosophy is to bring compassion, love and healing through the food they grow, while the affiliated Conscious Ground Kitchen is dedicated to providing the most delicious, nutrient-rich food products for your home, because great nutrition is vital for a healthy lifestyle.