Salads like this one make a great lunch or dinner. Simply serve it with a torn chunk of sourdough bread for an ample meal. I find lentils are satisfying and complete so, along with the warming roasted pumpkin and the crunchy snow peas, this ticks all the boxes for me. In effect, there are two dressings and this makes for a tasty combination of flavours!
Makes: 4 sides or 2 mains
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
1⁄4 medium pumpkin, cut into wedges, skin on
Cold-pressed olive oil, for baking
Quality salt and cracked black pepper, to season
1⁄2 cup puy lentils
11⁄2 cups filtered water
10-12 snow peas, trimmed and blanched
1⁄2 medium red onion, finely sliced
1 large kale leaf, finely shredded
1⁄4 cup firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
1⁄4 cup roughly chopped dried olives (or use regular olives)
Roasted red pepper vinaigrette:
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced.
- Roast the pumpkin and the red pepper for the vinaigrette at the same time.
- Place pumpkin wedges on a large baking tray, then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the red pepper for the vinaigrette on a separate small baking tray.
- Roast pumpkin for 15-20 minutes or until golden and soft. Set aside to cool.
- Roast whole red pepper for 15-20 minutes or until skin has blackened and pepper is soft.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place lentils and the filtered water in a medium saucepan on a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are soft but not overcooked.
- Drain lentils and cool under cold running water.
- Transfer lentils to a large salad bowl and add the snow peas, red onion, shredded kale, parsley and chopped olives.
- Set aside while you make the basil dressing and roasted red pepper vinaigrette.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to combine.
- Top with roasted pumpkin.
- Serve salad with vinaigrette on the side.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until well combined.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Roasted red pepper vinaigrette
- Remove skin, stem and seeds from roasted pepper, then combine with remaining vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small bowl or jug.
Shared with love by….
Anthea Amore, Organic Passion Catering
For more recipes and to purchase ‘Passion’ or ‘Hungry’ with over 150+ recipes go to