Who needs eggs to make great brownies?! These are perfect – everything a brownie should be: crunchy on the outside, and soft and chewy inside. They are deeply chocolatey, with chunks of chocolate and walnuts in almost every bite. Foolproof, easy and a treat for the whole family!
Makes: 16 pieces
(You’ll need a shallow 32cm x 23cm baking tray)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons ground flax meal*
- 2/3 cup (140ml) warm filtered water, plus 1/3 cup extra
- 2 3⁄4 cups white spelt flour*
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder*
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons quality salt
- 3⁄4 cup raw cacao powder*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or buttons, plus 1⁄2 cup extra
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut sugar*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste*
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
* You’ll find these ingredients at your local Santos Organics store or online.
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced.
- Whisk the flax meal and filtered water in a glass, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Set aside to thicken into a flax ‘egg’.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place cacao powder, chocolate chips or buttons and coconut oil in a stainless steel bowl that is sitting over a little boiling water in a saucepan. Take care, it’s hot.
- Stir frequently until melted. (Don’t let the base of the bowl touch the water or the chocolate will seize.)
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in the extra filtered water until smooth.
- Stir the coconut sugar into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the vanilla bean paste to the flax ‘egg’ mixture and combine well.
- Stir this into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture to form sticky dough.
- Fold in the extra chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper, extending the paper at ends to make handles.
- Spoon the brownie mixture into the tray, then spread the mixture out to the edges using the back of the spoon.
- You want a rough, uneven texture for brownies!
- Place tray on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and place on a wire rack. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully lift the baking paper and brownie onto the rack to cool completely.
- Cut into rectangles and eat!
Keeps in an airtight container in your pantry for up to 5 days.
Please note This recipe is NOT gluten free.