- 1 tsp. ground or freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. ground or freshly grated turmeric
- 1 tsp. fresh or dried calendula petals
- 1 tbsp. raw local honey
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- If using fresh ginger and turmeric, wash and peel a knob of each with the edge of a teaspoon and grate enough to fill 1 teaspoon
- Add calendula petals, honey, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper to a blender. Add either grated or ground ginger and turmeric and blitz until well combined.
- If you don’t have a blender, simply follow the steps above using a jar and a secure lid. Shake well to combine ingredients.
- If using freshly grated ginger and turmeric, use a strainer to remove excess pulp. If using ground powder there’s no need to strain it.
- Put this potent elixir in a jar in the fridge and enjoy a tablespoon every morning for vitality, health and wellbeing!
- Compost the pulp and peels!
- If this elixir is too potent for your taste, dilute it in a cup of warm or cool water for a yummy drink.
- You can also adjust quantities of each ingredient to suit your taste.
History + Benefits:
It is a vibrant time of year in the garden. As we emerge from the cool weather and flowers start to blossom and bloom it’s helpful to boost our immunity and cleanse our systems to welcome in a new season. Ginger, turmeric and calendula are three of the most healing crops for health and vitality, not to mention raw local honey. It is said that eating raw honey harvested in your local area helps to familiarise your body with the pollen and may therefore help in reducing hayfever symptoms. I’ve been enjoying this springtime detox elixir every morning. All of these ingredients can be sourced from Santos Organics.