I have made many versions of scrambled tofu over my years of being vegan but this is one of the best! It’s full of flavour, with all the green goodness of kale and broccoli, as well as all the healthy benefits of fresh turmeric, ginger and garlic. I grow a lot of turmeric and ginger in my garden and after harvest I just keep it fresh in my fridge for a few weeks or months with the dirt still on it, wrapped up in a bit of newspaper. Just as I see it begin to deteriorate, I scrub off the dirt and keep it in my freezer for when it’s not in season. Taking it out when I need it for a dish such as this, or a curry, soup, smoothie, rice dish or whatever. Simply grate it frozen and add to your dish. For those chasing protein, the tofu is full of that so this breakfast has it all! I love that it’s simple to make (and did I mention it tastes wonderful?).
- 250g firm tofu, crumbled
- Cold-pressed olive oil, for frying
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon quality salt
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon savoury yeast flakes*
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup kale, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
- 4-6 slices toast (optional)
* You’ll find this ingredient at your local Santos Organics store or online
- Sauté the tofu in a little olive oil with the garlic, turmeric, ginger, pepper, salt, spring onion, tamari and yeast flakes on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the tofu is golden, add the broccoli and lemon juice and sauté for a further minute.
- Add the kale and cook until it softens and wilts.
- Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve on its own or with a slice of toast.
Shared with love by.... Anthea Amore, Organic Passion Catering
For more recipes and to purchase 'Passion' or ‘Hungry’ with over 150+ recipes go to http://organicpassioncatering.com/index.php/books
@organicpassion (insta) https://www.facebook.com/organicpassioncatering/ https://www.facebook.com/AntheaAmore.author/