There are countless Dal recipes available. I love this recipe as it’s a one-pot meal we love in my home during the cold season. It’s also simple and very nutritious. This Dal recipe is made using quinoa rather than traditional basmati rice. Although I love basmati rice, it is still a refined grain with heavy and sticky qualities, lacking fibre and other vital nutrients. Many individuals (especially with high Kapha in Ayurveda) report feeling very heavy, sleepy, and bloated after eating white rice. Alternatively, quinoa is light in quality and is a complete protein source with a wide range of vitamins and minerals. A cashew nut crunch will add an extra texture and flavour to this recipe and will soon be your winter favourite.
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup moong dal
1/2 cup cashews
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon Hing powder (optional – helps to break down legumes)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro or parsley chopped.
A dollop of coconut or Greek yogurt
All your fresh produce and perishables can be found at Santos Organics stores
- Rinse the quinoa and moong dal separately under cold water.
- In a large pan, heat some oil or ghee over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the pan and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the cashews and cook for a few minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Stir the rinsed quinoa and moong dhal, turmeric powder, red chilli flakes (if
- desired), and salt. Mix well to coat the grains and lentils with the spices.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the quinoa and moong dal are cooked and tender.
- Once cooked, fluff the pilaf with a fork and garnish with a dollop of yogurt and freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
Serve the Quinoa Cashew Moong Dhal Pilaf as a flavourful and nutritious main dish or as a side dish alongside your favourite curries or grilled vegetables that can be found in any of our 3 Santos Organics stores.