- 60g fresh or frozen turmeric, diced
- 40g piece fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 200ml coconut milk
- 500ml milk of your choice
- 250ml filtered water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup coconut sugar, or to taste
- Extra water or milk of your choice, if needed
- Extra finely ground nutmeg, for dusting
1. Place all the ingredients, except the finely ground nutmeg, in a blender and blend until smooth. 2. Pour into a large saucepan and bring almost to boiling point, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. 3. Using a fine sieve or nut mylk bag, strain the cooking liquid into another large saucepan; discard the grounds. 4. Taste and adjust sweetener to your liking. (The flavour of fresh turmeric can vary in strength. 5. Add extra water or milk if the turmeric taste is too strong for you.) 6. Pour chai into mugs, dust with the extra ground nutmeg and enjoy with your favourite sweet treat in the winter’s sun.
Tip: The black pepper helps with the absorption of the turmeric.