In Ayurveda spring is a time of rejuvenation, cleansing and reviving the self after the winter months. Eating foods made from fresh seasonal ingredients is key in spring with a focus on light, warm and stimulating recipes.
Rocket and parsley are two fresh spring ingredients that are a fantastic addition or side to any meal. Parsley is also a great addition in your meals, as parsley is both beneficial for the immune system and for cleansing the liver and kidneys.
Try this pesto pasta created by Yummy Lara for a refreshing spring lunch or dinner!
- 1 cup of Organic Cashew nuts chopped
- ¼ cup of Organic Olive Oil
- 1 clove of fresh Organic garlic finely chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 large juicy lemon
- 1 bunch each of Organic Parsley and Rocket
- ½ Tsp. of Black cracked pepper
- ½ Tsp. of Australian Naturally evaporated sea salt
- Filtered water
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until mixed well consistency should be nice and creamy and not too runny. Add filtered water to reduce thickness a tablespoon at a time.
Veggie Sauce & Pasta Ingredients (Serves 4 people):
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into small sections and washed
- 2 medium sized zucchinis sliced into rounds then cut in half
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or tasteless cooking coconut oil
- ½ Tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp. ajwain seeds
- 1 Tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Italian mixed Herbs
- 350g of Organic Quinoa and Rice Penne
- Bring to boil a medium sized pot of water (approximately 2 litres), with a ½ Tsp. of sea salt, add the pasta and stir thoroughly, then cook on a low to medium heat until al dente. HINT: make sure not to overcook GF pasta as it will become mushy. This pasta usually takes about 10-12 minutes to cook.
- Place 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add the spices, and when they start to sizzle add in the diced onion.
- Cook the onion on low heat for 5- 10 min until it becomes translucent.
- Add the fresh veggies and cover them thoroughly in the onion and spice mixture, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cooked and drained pasta
- Finally add in at least 4 heaped tablespoons of pesto (to taste) - you may want to add the whole lot or save some for another meal.
For more recipes, catering information and ayurvedic consults contact:
FB Lara Yakimishyn