Who needs eggs to make great brownies?! These are perfect – everything a brownie should be: crunchy on the outside, and soft and chewy inside. They are deeply chocolatey, with chunks of chocolate and walnuts in almost every bite. Foolproof, easy and a treat for the whole family!
* You’ll find these ingredients at your local Santos Organics store or online
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced.
- Whisk the flax meal and filtered water in a glass, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Set aside to thicken into a flax ‘egg’.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place cacao powder, chocolate chips or buttons and coconut oil in a stainless steel bowl that is sitting over a little boiling water in a saucepan. Take care, it’s hot.
- Stir frequently until melted. (Don’t let the base of the bowl touch the water or the chocolate will seize.)
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in the extra filtered water until smooth.
- Stir the coconut sugar into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the vanilla bean paste to the flax ‘egg’ mixture and combine well.
- Stir this into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture to form sticky dough.
- Fold in the extra chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper, extending the paper at ends to make handles.
- Spoon the brownie mixture into the tray, then spread the mixture out to the edges using the back of the spoon.
- You want a rough, uneven texture for brownies!
- Place tray on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and place on a wire rack. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully lift the baking paper and brownie onto the rack to cool completely.
- Cut into rectangles and eat!
Keeps in an airtight container in your pantry for up to 5 days. Please note This recipe is NOT gluten free.