GF, Vegan (option).
- 2 cups coconut shredded or chips
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- A good pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
Ingredients - Tadka (tempering):
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dahl
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- Add the coconut, water, salt, pepper, garlic and ginger to a blender and blitz for a minute until it becomes smooth. Add a little more water if needed. Scoop the coconut mixture into a bowl.
- Put the tadka ingredients into a small dish and set aside. Place a small fry pan onto a medium heat and add coconut oil or ghee. Once the oil is hot add all the tadka ingredients and cook stirring continuously until the urid dal turns golden. Pour the tempered spices onto the blended coconut mixture and stir through to combine the spices evenly.
- Serve as accompaniment to curry, rice or flatbread. Best eaten on the same day as the texture of the coconut will change in the fridge once the fats of the coconut have cooled and solidified.