This recipe is an excellent option for those looking for a gluten free and nutritious alternative to a traditional pizza base. A cauliflower pizza crust is mostly made out of cauliflower, coconut flour, almond meal and eggs. This recipe provides instructions for a base as well as a thick tomato sauce to be lathered on top. Feel free to use whatever ingredients you like on top of the pizza.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for drizzling on vegetables)
- 3 button mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bunch broccolini
- Handful pine nuts
- Basil leaves
- Pecorino cheese, or cashew cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets, discarding the stalk. Using a food processor, blend the cauliflower florets until fine, and a rice-like texture.
- Transfer the ‘cauli-rice’ to a large bowl. Add the coconut flour, nut-meal, Italian herbs, salt and nutritional yeast. Stir well to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of your mix and crack your eggs into it. Using your hands, combine the mixture – pulling the dry ingredients towards the middle. Ensure that the mixture is completely wet, and sticky enough to form into a ‘dough’ like ball. If it is too dry and crumbly then add another egg.
- Transfer the mix onto a baking tray – forming either two large or 4 small bases. Compress the ‘dough’ down with your hands, keeping the edges around 80mms or so thick. You don’t want the base too thin or it will crumble once cooked.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Prepare the tomato base sauce while waiting for base to cook (recipe below).
- Take the golden base/s out of the oven and coat with a thick layer of your tomato base sauce.
- Finely slice your mushrooms and zucchini and place on top of the pizzas. Add any other vegetables you like.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the vegetables and bake for 15-20 minutes, until bronzed.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and serve hot, topped with basil leaves, pine nuts and your favourite cheese.
TOMATO BASE SAUCE
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Dice the onion finely and fry in the oil until soft and translucent.
- Chop the garlic finely and add to the onion, along with the Italian spice mix, cumin and cracked pepper.
- Stir continuously for a minute then add the two cans of crushed tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Let simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring periodically. You want the sauce to thicken and become more concentrated. Remove from heat.