I must be honest and say I’m not a big fan of porridge. I only eat it once or twice a year, through the winter months usually. However, I know many of you are fans and, when my partner, Caspar, and I are catering on retreats in the cooler months, we always make porridge and stewed fruits for our breakfast buffets. I will only eat my porridge as I like it with lots of flavour or it’s just too boring for my palate! For me, that means adding various spices or soaked seeds or nuts, dried fruit, different sweeteners – like molasses for an iron-packed, licorice-like sweetness – and other flavours like shredded or desiccated coconut, citrus zest and vanilla. Of course, some of these elements can be added to the stewed fruits, too. Play around with your own favourite combinations – they are endless!
- 1 cup oats or quinoa flakes soaked overnight in 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup diced banana
- ¼ teaspoon quality salt
- 1-2 tablespoons agave syrup*, or to taste
Plum & ginger compote:
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 5 plums, halved, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or powder*
- 2-3 tablespoons agave (or maple) syrup* or to taste
- ¼ cup activated almonds* roughly chopped, for garnishing
* You’ll find these ingredients at your local Santos Organics store or online
- Cook oats in the soaking water on a low-medium heat, simmering slowly for 15-20 minutes (add a little extra water, if needed).
- Gradually add all the coconut milk little by little, stirring regularly to prevent the porridge from burning and sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, make the plum & ginger compote.
- As oats begin to get a little creamy, add the banana, salt and the agave syrup and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Spoon porridge into bowls, top with warm plum & ginger compote and garnish with chopped almonds.
- This recipe is great with pears (2–3 medium) or strawberries (1 x 250g punnet) when plums aren't available.
And add more ginger if you like it!
Plum & ginger compote:
- Place all the ingredients, except the agave syrup, into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until plums are soft.
- They stew quite quickly and will be ready when your porridge is!
- Add the agave syrup and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Plums will be quite tart, so adjust the sweetness to your liking. (I like it tart!)
Shared with love by.... Anthea Amore, Organic Passion Catering
For more recipes and to purchase 'Passion' or ‘Hungry’ with over 150+ recipes go to http://organicpassioncatering.com/index.php/books
@organicpassion (insta) https://www.facebook.com/organicpassioncatering/ https://www.facebook.com/AntheaAmore.author/