Organic Green Lentils are Certified Organic. You can use them to make Nonna?s Lentil, Fennel & Celery Soup.
Preparation: Pre-soak them before cooking to remove any remaining Saponin, a naturally occurring coating on seeds and pulses.
While some lentils are used for their ability to break down during cooking, green lentils retain their shape well once cooked. This makes them ideal for using in hearty salads, stews, and in stuffed vegetables. They are also a good addition to rice dishes, and tasty in meat-free lasagne or moussaka.
We recommend storing in an air tight container in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
Sprouting Organic Green Lentils:
- Rinse ? cup lentils and place in a sprouting container/jar.
- Add 2-3 cups water, filling the jar three-quarters full; cover jar with a sprouting mesh.
- Soak lentils at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse lentils thoroughly.
- Invert the jar at an angle so that the lentils will drain while still allowing air to circulate.
- Repeat rinsing and draining 2-3 times per day until sprout tails appear.
- Taste sprouts (not lentils) daily; discontinue rinsing and draining when sprouts have reached desired length and flavour.
- Drain for several hours before cooking or transferring to a covered container.
- Sprouts can be store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Organic Green Lentils are low in fat and are high in fibre for good digestive function and also assist in lowering cholesterol re-absorption. In fact, green lentils contain more fibre than their friend the red lentil. They are also high in iron (non-heme) and contain magnesium to aid in Calcium absorption and healthy nerve function. Remember that combining lentils with a grain like Rice or Amaranth gives you a complete protein mix. It’s helpful to remember that sprouted lentils contain extra nutrients and are easier to digest due to their rich enzyme content. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, lentils have a neutral thermal nature and are beneficial to the heart, circulation, stimulate adrenal function and increases vitality of the kidneys.
Certified Organic: ACO
Country of Origin: Canada