Hand hygiene is an effective strategy in the prevention of transmission of microbial infections. Hand washing with soap and water regularly is ideal (always after going to the toilet; before and after food preparation; after handling animals; touching surfaces in public places and healthcare facilities; after blowing your nose or covering a cough or sneeze). However, using an antibacterial/antiviral hand sanitiser is an additional strategy in between or in the absence of soap and water.
This natural sanitiser recipe is recommended by our naturopaths, with all the ingredients available in Santos stores:
NATURAL HAND SANITISER:
- 3/4 cup of alcohol (60-80%)
- 1/4 cup organic aloe vera gel (aloe has antibacterial/antiviral & antioxidant properties and is anti-inflammatory, moisturising, healing and soothing on the skin; it also has mucilage/gel which improve the consistency and ‘stickability’ of the product)
- 5ml vitamin E oil (optional, for extra moisturising effect)
- 4-6 drops each of 2-4 antibacterial / antiviral essential oils, choose from:
- Blue gum eucalyptus
- Tea tree
Method: Whisk together in a bowl or place in a jar and shake to combine. Pour into a pump or atomizer bottle. Apply a small amount and rub over all surfaces of hands and under fingernails and rings.
Beyond maintaining good hand hygiene, boosting your immune system is a key way to prevent infections. There are several different supplements that are great for boosting immunity, some of our Naturopaths’ favourites are:
- The Bioceuticals Armaforce range for adults and Armaforce for Juniors is one of our top sellers, it’s a practitioner only product but available from our Naturopaths
- Retail remedy products including Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence and Fusion Astra 8 liquid and tablets and Fusion ActiViral tablets
- Vogel’s EchinaForte (tablets) and Echinaforce (liquid)
- Kiwiherb Children’s Echinature (liquid herbal), Premedy Children’s Immune Probiotics are great options for kids
- We also have a wide range of vitamin C and zinc supplements for adults and kids that are great for boosting immunity; and our Reishi products, Superfeast Mason’s Mushrooms and our Medicinal Mushroom mix (bulk) provide great immune support
Visit our Byron or Mullum stores and talk to our friendly Naturopaths about your individual needs.