Growing cucumbers for the entirety of summer is challenging here, especially if we experience heavy rainfall and increased humidity as we have for the past few summers and are expected to again this summer. But that doesn’t mean we have to miss out on cucumbers! Cucumbers prefer hot, dry conditions as they have hairy leaves that capture moisture. If moisture is excessive fungal disease such as powdery mildew thrive. Here, the beginning of the summer season is generally hot and dry and the end of the summer season is typically hot and wet. So it’s best to get your cucumbers in now and preserve your harvests for the months ahead when the rain and humidity really set in. All of these ingredients can be sourced from your local Santos Organics store and some can be found via the Santos Organics online shop.
- Fresh organic cucumbers
- Good quality salt
- Filtered or rain water
- Herbs and spices of choice
- Clean and sterilise your kitchen utensils with boiling water
- Clean and sterilise jars and lids with boiling water for at least 10 minutes
- Empty water from jars and set aside to cool
- Chop cucumbers into whatever shapes inspire you. I like to slice into rounds or cut into sticks. Make sure all segments still have some skin.
- Pack cucumber pieces into jars leaving an inch at the top of the jar for air
- Add herbs and spices of choice (I like garlic, chives, dill seeds or fresh dill)
- In a jug make the brine by mixing salt with filtered or rain water using the ratio 3 tablespoons salt to 1 litre water. Use a little boiling water to dissolve the salt then add cool water.
- Pour this salt brine over your cucumbers to just below the rim of the jars.
- Seal the jars with a lid.
- *BURP jars daily to prevent pressure building and any explosions
- Leave on the shelf out of direct sunlight for 3-5 days or until bubbling slows (bubbling is a sign of microbial activity!)
- Refrigerate jars and enjoy your ferments for months to come.
- *Note these should last for up to 4 months in the fridge if you do not contaminate them with dirty spoons etc. Always use clean cutlery to eat your ferments and keep refrigerated at all times.
On their own, with every meal! These are delicious salty snacks full of microbial goodness!