This simple dahl recipe is delicious, wholesome and hearty. Try it today.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 brown onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh green chilli
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- t tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 10 curry leaves, dry or fresh
- Pinch asofateida
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1⁄2 tsp garam masala
- Begin by preparing individual piles of each ingredients: Peel and dice the onion finely. Chop the garlic finely. Slice the green chilli down lengthways and scrape the seeds out. Chop the chilli in half and dice finely.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet. Once melted, add the chopped onion and fry until translucent.
- Add the garlic, chili and curry leaves and fry for another minute or so.
- Add the remaining spices and stir continuously for a minute. The blend should be quitearomatic.
- Rinse the lentils in a sieve until the water runs clear. Add them to the spice mix and stir for another minute, coating them well.
- Add the coconut milk and water and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 30-40 minutes on low with a lid covering. Stir periodically. The dhal should be complete once the lentils are soft and loosing shape. If they lentils are still hard then cook for longer. More water can be added at any time if you desire a more liquid like consistency.
- Once complete, stir through the salt and garam masala.
Serve hot on top of warm coconut rice. Top with fresh mint or coriander. Add salt and chilli to desired taste.