Beetroots are a generally neglected vegetable, but their nutrient content and colour are truly enticing and they are tasty too! Here’s a great salad to make even though your hands will turn pink if you don’t use gloves to ‘skin’ the beetroots after they’ve been cooked. You can eat this salad warm or refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve it, although I’d let it get to room temperature first, as then the full flavour of the beetroot and herbs comes to life.
Serves: 4-6 Sides
- 6 large beetroots (beets), leaves removed just above the stalk and cut in half.
- 1 small bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch lemon thyme, leaves removed from the woody stalk and chopped
- 5 or 6 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced including the green part
- 1 cup salted pistachio nuts, shelled and coarsely chopped, to serve
- 1 small lettuce, to serve
Simple Salad Dressing:
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil the beetroot in water for 30 minutes or until soft.
- They are cooked when a sharp knife slides easily into the vegetable.
- Toss the herbs and spring onions in a large bowl.
- When the beetroots are cooked, allow them to cool just a little, retaining some heat to release the oils in the herbs.
- Cut off the beetroot tops, peel the skin and then cut them in half again so you are working with a quarter of a beetroot.
- Slice the quarters into slivers and toss with the herbs and spring onions.
- Arrange on the lettuce leaves.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, sprinkle with the pistachios and enjoy the gorgeous colours and flavours!